375g salmon fillet
500g potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tbsp cumin seeds
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp chives, chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 slices Burgen Buckwheat & Poppy Seed bread, made into breadcrumbs
2 red peppers, deseeded and halved
4 eggs, poached
rocket to serve
- Place the salmon in a pan with the milk and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain the fish and break into large flakes, picking out any bones.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds and spring onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes then, using a fork, stir in the fish, spring onion mixture and chopped chives.
- When the mixture is cool enough to handle, shape it into 4 fish cakes.
- Place the egg in a shallow dish and the breadcrumbs onto a plate.
- Dip each fishcake first into the egg, and then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat completely. Leave to rest in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile grill the red pepper halves until black then place in a bowl and cover with cling-film for a few minutes before peeling off the charred skin. Blend the remaining flesh to give a smooth red pepper sauce.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and cook each fishcake for 6-7 minutes on either side, until golden.
- Serve each fishcake on a little red pepper sauce topped with a poached egg and rocket leaves on the side.