Middle Eastern Chickpea Sandwich
Zhoug is a fresh herby paste originating in the Middle East. This recipe is perfect in a sandwich but also with pasta or in salad dressings.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small pepper, seeded and sliced
- 75g mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp tinned chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 4 slices Bürgen Oat & Quinoa bread
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Handful of lettuce
For the zhoug;
50g coriander, leaves and stalks
50g flat leaf parsley, leaves and stalks
25g mint leaves
1 tsp cumin seed
1 green chilli, seeded and roughly chopped
1 small clove garlic
100ml olive oil
- To make the zhoug; place the herbs, cumin, chilli and garlic in a small food processor and blitz until evenly chopped. Add the olive oil and blitz again to a green paste. Taste and season with black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the pepper and mushrooms over a medium heat for around 5 minutes, stirring until beginning to brown. Add the chickpeas and cook for another minute or enough to colour them. Season with a black pepper.
- Spread a generous teaspoon of zhoug over each slice of bread. Top with the chickpea mixture, add the tomato and lettuce before adding the final slice. Serve straight away!